Broken sewer pipes are the cause of much anxiety and expense for homeowners. Many homeowners are afraid to take on the responsibility of repairing a damaged sewer pipe. With some basic plumbing skills do-it-yourselfers can repair broken sewer pipes with very little trouble. The following are instructions for what you will need to do to fix a broken sewer pipe:
- Make sure you have the proper tools. You will need a shovel, a wet concrete saw and a sledgehammer and pry bar. Never start a job without the proper tools.
- Get access to the broken pipes. For pipes under a concrete slab, us the concrete wet saw to score the concrete. Score the concrete in squares and use the sledgehammer break up the square from the inside. Use a shovel to get access to pipes below grade.
- Determine what type of repair needs to be made. For small holes, you can use a gasket and clamp while a large break will require you replace a length of pipe with flexible pair couplings.
- For repair clamps you need to remove the dirt surrounding the area of the punctures. Place the clamp’s gasket directly over the puncture. Open up the repair clamp and place it over the gasket and then close the clamp. Tighten the clamp bolts with a wrench. Test the connection by running water through the pipes and check for leaks.
- Remove the portion of the pipe that has the cracks. Use a reciprocal saw to cut the pipe. You can also use a hacksaw. Clean the cut ends with a file.
- Cut a portion of new pipe to fit the space that was left when you cut the damaged pipe. Cut the new pipe to size.
- Slide a flexible coupling over the old pipe on either side of the gap. Hold the new length of pipe in place and slide the couplings toward the gap. The coupling should cover both side of the joint between the new and old pipe.
- Tighten the clamps with a screwdriver. Check for leaks by running water through the pipes.
- The repairs should be supported by backfilling underneath the repairs with earth.
Using Flexible Couplings
It’s a good idea to cover the repair overnight before you rebury the sewer pipes to make sure leaks do not occur after a few hours. Once you are confident that the repair has been successful you can rebury the pipe.
About Green Plumbing Solutions
Green Plumbing Solutions provides sewer repair and plumbing services to Denver, Highlands Ranch, Aurora and the surrounding areas. Green Plumbing Solutions is a licensed contractor and a member of the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
With Green Plumbing Solutions, the estimate is always free and there is no travel charge. And you approve the estimate before any work is started.